I had many requests for this recipe so I am sharing it with you. I received the recipe from a friend.
I purchased an uncooked package of turkey breast which was so much easier than cooking a whole turkey which I did the first time I made this.
I cooked the turkey several hours before I put the casserole together and refrigerated it before I diced it.
- 1 (12 pack) King's Hawaiian Original Rolls (3 cups cubed)*
- 3 cups diced cooked turkey
- 8 oz. mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Dijon or spicy mustard
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Place bread, turkey and cheese in a large bowl and blend with a large spoon gently. In another bowl, whisk eggs, add flour and whisk, and then add mustard, melted butter, eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Whisk thoroughly.
- Pour milk mixture over the bread, turkey and cheese; stir gently to blend (be careful not to over-stir as the bread can become overly moist and break apart).
- Let stand for five to ten minutes for bread to absorb liquid.
- Pour into a buttered 2-quart baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and bake for 50 minutes (should be lightly golden and puffed). Test with a knife inserted into center — it should come out clean with little liquid on the knife.
- For a lighter dish, consider using low-fat mild cheddar cheese and low-fat milk.
- *Any King's Hawaiian product, cubed, will be ideal for this recipe, including Snacker Rolls or Original Round Bread.
It is easy to put together and everybody will love it.
It would also be a good recipe to file away to use when you have left over Thanksgiving turkey.