Tuesday, February 11, 2020

My Approach To My Work- Rerun

Thinking about who I am and what I do as an artist I have some basic “tools” I use as I create no matter what medium I am using.

My current show “Ice Tapestries And Shibori Quilts” pushed me to think about how I work. Questions and comments by visitors to the show also help me clarify my creativity approach.
image
Color is one of my most important tools. Color can mean so many things and  the way colors work together and play off of each other is evident in my work.
image
I prefer to pair design down to their simplest form for the greatest visual impact.
image
Along the way I try to find the most efficient way to construct my work. I also strive to find the easiest way to bring my vision to completion. Often as I am working on something a lightning bolt hits giving me a better way for my next step.

Although I have chosen imperfection as my word for several years, it is something I have a hard time doing. I do use it as my excuse when things don’t work perfectly.IMG_7171IMG_1688
I work in series, although sometimes it is not as evident in my finished work that the varied pieces were part of the same series.
IMG_1691
Play is another part of my creativity. I do not attempt to recreate something I’ve already done.
image
My work comes from deep inside me and cannot be forced. Creating is as necessary to me as breathing.
image
I march to my own drummer and do not follow the latest pop craze in the art arena.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

What a great post, Kay!!!! You are such a great mentor to so many of us....I really enjoyed your thought process in this post. Thanks!!!