Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Lanai Redo–Part 2


This is the other conversation area. I find 4 chairs with a coffee table a great way to visit with friends.

It was so humid when I took this picture every time I took a step it left a foot print.

I’m still working on accessorizing this area.

I really didn’t expect to love this redo as much as I do.

Monday, November 24, 2014

Lanai Redo



After living here for over 10 years we decided it was time to make a few changes on the lanai.

This is conversation area one. Four people can sit here comfortably and everyone has a place to put their snacks or beverages.


This was the first picture I took of it yesterday. The pink lamp had to go! I needed another table on the end of the loveseat on the right.

If you look at the first picture you can see I am shopping my house for accessories.

It is so pleasant and I’ve had breakfast out there yesterday and today.

The furniture arrived on Wednesday in BIG boxes. It all had to be put together.

I had friends who came over 3 different times and by Saturday evening everything was put together.

I really appreciate all their help. I didn’t even need to ask for their help.

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Home Made Bread

It has been quite a while since I have made bread so I decided I’d try again.

Somehow when I was baking it the smell must have carried over to Bird Island on Lake Weir.

Within 5 minutes after it was done I had company!



They enjoyed the hot bread with butter and some jelly.


Our beverages of choice vary. Drew and I usually are Coca Cola drinkers and Andy’s beverage is normally Vernor’s Gingerale.

Tonight he decided to indulge in a bottle of wine!

In reality the only thing left in the bottle is the little bit you can see in his glass leftover from cooking dinner a few night’s ago.

One of their goals in life is to never have a normal picture taken of them!

He did have a Vernors while he worked after dinner until I spilled it all over the lanai floor.


While finishing up the last few bites of the heel of the bread I think Andy was searching for a way for me to stream the Packer game tomorrow.


After dinner they finished putting the last of my new lanai furniture together. There were 3 chairs left to do.



Andy did the construction with Drew’s help when necessary.


Drew also did all the unpacking, took all the protective covering off the pieces and took the boxes out to the garage. He also unwrapped all the cushions.

I feel very fortunate to have such helpful young friends.

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Our Line Challenge


Beth Shutty’s quilt featured curved lines both in the motif and in her appropriate background quilting.


Gloria Meachem’s quilt was inspired by a piece of fabric.Her lines are obvious in both the design and the quilting. It is interesting that both Beth and Gloria’s quilts radiate from an off center central point but are totally different in their design and execution.


This is the other quilt Gloria made for our challenge. It tells us so much more about lines with her descriptions and illustrations. Gloria is one of our members who has mastered her sewing machine embroidery and so much more.


Judy Devaney created this with personal heirloom laces.What a great way to preserve the handwork and the memories it evokes.  It you knew Judy you would recognize this as her work as these colors are spot on for her.

She also was the hostess for our challenge tea. It was lovely.


Gladys Tice also used curved lines to emphasize and feature the print she chose to use. The colors also are pulled from the print.

Her workmanship was impeccable …not an easy thing to do with those narrow insets of color.


This beautiful sunset landscape uses both curve and straight lines in the piecing and quilting. The quilting is so appropriate to the design and does an excellent job of emphasizing the different parts of the quilt.


In case you forgot my quilt posted earlier on this blog, here is one part of it.


I have yet to get a good photo of the entire piece. I used a piece of fabric I had dyed several times as the background and created the lines with satin stitching using a color run over the surface.

Friday, November 21, 2014

Scrappy Socks


I just finished another pair of socks. I decided it might be fun to use some of the leftovers from other pairs of socks.

I don’t make my legs of my socks as long as most people do so I always have a lot left.

I completely used up the leftovers from 4 pair and started on the 5th with the blue.

I am not really excited about them as I thought I would be.

I have enough sock yarn for maybe 20 or more pair so why am I using leftovers? Beats me!

I am going to see if I can come up with some other way to use leftover sock yarns.

I’m ready to knit another pair that is ALL one color!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

More Pole Rolling Progress


I have spent some time rolling more fabric on these poles.

Some of the poles are full and ready to be dyed.

Others could be dyed now, but I might as well fill the poles with a little more fabric!

I won’t be dyeing for a few more days as our temperatures have dropped and I do my dyeing in the garage.

Monday, November 17, 2014

Rolling Poles For Arashi Shibori

I roll a few poles as time permits and when I have either used all my poles or feel like I really need to see what is going to happen to these fabrics I do the dyeing.
Sometimes I spend a few weeks rolling poles and then immerse them in the vats of dye all in one day.
These don’t look like much right now. I am currently working with fabrics that have either been painted or dyed previously at least one time. I know all of these need at least one more layer of color.  Most of these are cotton but there are also some silks.
I put several fabrics on a pole if I know they will go into the same color dye pot.
It’s always fun to see the results.
I also expect I’ll be doing some ice dyeing soon.