Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Paisley Star Mandala

image
This was one of my VERY early quilts created in 1982. At that time it was still not easy to find interesting quilting fabrics.
I have always loved Paisley prints and that was the starting point for this. I added a tiny busy calico print and 2 solids.
I also had a brand new set of various shaped plastic templates from Yours Truly by Marti Michell that each had a variety of sizes and they all fit together.
image
It was machine pieced and hand quilted. I quilted it in the calico and solid taupe sections with lines of stitching 1/8-1/4 inches apart. These lines are barely visible even when you see the quilt in person, but they did flatten that area and gave the quilt dimension. I quilted the paisely sections to emphasize the shapes of the design.
image
I signed it by placing cross stitch canvas on the surface and stitching my signature and then removed the threads of the canvas.
It is mounted on a custom made wood stretcher frame. There is extra batting in the solid border section to make the border stand out farther than the actual quilt.
Maybe I could call this my first 3D quilt!

No comments: