Monday, August 28, 2017
A Newly Finished Quilt
This started out trying to use some scraps of fabric I was not pleased with, yet not ready to throw away. They were odd shapes and sizes.
My friend Robbie Porter Payne had a Thermofax screen that was interesting and fit the size of my scraps so I printed 4 identical designs. I believe these are some sort of diagram from the auto industry.
Next was the challenge of trying to make something with them. I trimmed each of them to the same size and found the burgundy dyed fabric I had created earlier. The little circle design was also from one of her screens but I messed it up. No problem, cut out the good part and used it for the center.
It needed something more so I pulled out more of my dyed fabrics and added Thermofax printing from one of my original design screens to create the border fabric.
I had very little of the burgundy fabric left to bind it. I figured out mathematically how to get enough for a narrow binding. WHOOPS! I cut it a quarter inch too wide.I found some very small scraps of the fabric and was able to stretch it to fit.
What a relief to finish it and it only took about 2 years.
My journey from start to finish is never a straight line!