Monday, November 13, 2017

Another 8 Pointed Star For One Arm Quilter

I finished several quilts in the recent past.
I have not posted them for various reasons: gifts, no time, etc
 image
I have been fortunate to have Eileen Mirr do long arm quilting on some of my quilts for me. She is an expert at quilting spirals. I think they might just be her trademark because when my granddaughter Dana saw the work she did she knew immediately who quilted them.
A little on the history of this quilt design. About 20 years ago I had a frozen shoulder. It was so bad I could only move my hand about an inch from my side. The Doctor said it was the worst one he had every seen. He wanted to operate right away. I said NO and he recommended a physical therapist who was excellent. It woke me up at night with the pain. I was sitting at the table looking at quilt pictures and I say a star quilt made with diamonds.
My mind began to race and I though why couldn’t that be done with fabric strips. I rushed up to the computer and drew it up.

I had a lot of strips cut and make the first one in rainbow colors. I could sew the strips together with just my right arm. There is nothing like doing something to love to help one’s recovery. When it was time to cut the slices from the strata of sewn together strips I had healed enough to do that.
And the rest is history. I taught this as a class, but students were allowed to use both arms.

3 comments:

Cathy Perlmutter said...

Great quilt! Especially for someone with frozen shoulder! I had frozen shoulder too, as did a whole lot of my friends! My chiropractor got me through it faster than expected!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a striking quilt!! INCREDIBLE story, too!!

Anonymous said...

Your use of strips makes a very interesting star. Are the setting squares/triagles one fabric or pieced?