Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mystery quilt on bed



I don't think I was influenced by a particular quilt I had seen when I made this quilt. I did select fabrics that had a traditional look to them. I call this the "Mystery Quilt".

Of course this was made by sewing strips into strata and then sub cutting them with an equilateral triangle ruler. The pieced triangles alternate with plain triangles. It was a fun quilt to make.

I ended up with so many extra triangles I was able to make 7 placemats from the left overs. I have black dishes in my kitchen and they look great with them.

I also taught it as a workshop/class and it was very well received.


Here is my friend Sally building her mystery quilt on a design wall. Do you remember Sally? She has been known to stand on the counter to preview her designs but this is a much safer was to design a quilt. What a wonderful combination of fabrics she used.

This is one of those quilts that is very effective in both traditional or contemporary fabric. It relies on a balanced group of fabrics. I also found it was more effective using only prints. The ones I started using prints and solids are still in pieces in a box. I believe I put them on my rework or abandon list.

No comments: