Friday, July 17, 2020

The Original Eight Pointed Star for One Armed Quilter

This is the very first quilt of this style I created. The quilting was finished very recently.
The idea came to me when I was in a great deal of pain and couldn't use my left arm.
I was looking at a typical 8 pointed star with diamonds that require precision piecing.
A light bulb went on in my head wondering if I could used strips rather than diamonds.
Using my computer and Corel Draw I designed this with rainbow colors, the first available palette. I could see it would work.
I had strips precut and selected strips in a similar color palette and started piecing.

I was able to sew it with just one hand and as I sewed my arm improved and I was able to continue creating these pieces for the 8 diamonds.
I just happened to have the rainbow arc fabric I used between each section.
It was very successful and I have made several variations along with teaching the class to many students.
Since the background is black it is harder to see the quilting, but if you can enlarge it you may be able to see it.



No comments: