Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lamp Love Long Before Nate Berkus!

For those of you who aren't Nate Berkus followers you may not be aware that he recommends using "vintage or thrift store lamps" in your homes to decorate and light your home.

I started that quite some time ago. My home has at least 5 of them.
I have personalized or changed some of them.



This lamp was one of a pair I purchased on eBay.
I spray painted the base and the center post silver. The four leaves were painted black.
I used acrylic paints to paint the new parchment shade bringing in colors from the room.
I also added a few embellishments - turquoise discs and some "jewel"s.
Of all the lamps this is the funkiest!



This is the other one of the pair. I painted the base and the center post with a cream stone texture spray paint. I sponge painted the new parchment shade with diluted paint I had used to paint the walls in this room shading from dark at the lower edge to light at the top. The decorative pieces on the shade are recycled from a necklace.



This lamp was another eBay purchase. We painted the entire lamp flat back. I found this inexpensive square black shade and glued purple beaded fringe to the lower edge of it.



This classic Stiffel lamp was one of our wedding gifts over 50 years ago.
We had it cut down and rewired. The parchment shade is new.



I bought this lamp new over 30 years ago. It is the type of lamp you could find in a thrift store or on eBay today. Often I just have to "shop" my house.
I do love this lamp.

I certainly agree with Nate that using vintage lamps make a home much more interesting. It also saves money and keeps things out of the landfills.

3 comments:

Sherryl said...

These are cool Kay!

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

thanks Sherryl.

Unknown said...

Love your creativity, thanks for linking up to my blog bash K.I.S.S. @ The Tattered Tag. Please link up more of your great ideas tomorrow. :)

Drop by The Tattered Tag