Monday, July 22, 2013

Holing Up In My Studio With Friends

image

While looking through things on the shelves in my studio who did I find in hiding?

Yes, Barbie and Ken…………They are at the sewing machine but they’re not helping me with my work.

I’m purging and listing on eBay and sending out sold eBay things.

They just sit there making eyes at each other.

I think they may need some new clothes….Barbie’s dress is just a gauge sample I knit on my knitting machine.

I knit Ken’s sweater by hand at least 45 years ago.

But the thing that worries me the most is red headed Barbie is hiding away somewhere with brunette Ken and GI Joe!

About 50 years ago I sewed Barbie clothes and sold them. I must have made at least 800 garments – mostly of my own designs.

I have NONE of them left as I gave the last ones away. I also gave my original Barbie to a little girl who didn’t have one.

20 or so years ago I did make some gorgeous Barbie clothes for my granddaughters dolls. Maybe they have some Barbie can borrow!

3 comments:

Laura said...

My grandmother worked at a ladies dress shop doing alterations when I was little and made me Barbie clothes with scraps of mink, velvet, silk, satin, whatever she could get her hands on. They were gorgeous! Thanks for bringing back those memories.

Robbie said...

OMG...so funny! But this too brought back memories for me. First, my childhood and my Barbie dolls...then when I got married, everyone called us Barbie and Ken. He was tall, dark and handsome and I was a skinny, little blonde! So funny...he has passed away and I'm not longer a skinny, little blonde! times sure change! Thanks for another memory!

Dena said...

I remember I received a 'toy' sewing machine as a gift when I was about 8 years old and I would sew clothes for my barbie dolls... even though I had no idea what I was doing! When my daughters were growing up and they played with their barbie dolls, I always sewed their outfits too and they loved that no one else had outfits like their dolls had. Now I sew for my granddaughters. Thanks for the memories.