Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Knowing My Own Artistic Style

I’ve always loved quilts.

image

When I started quilting my goal was to make one of every block there was!

I had NO idea there were so many, but at the time there was so little information that I thought I could do it.

I also had no idea we could design our own blocks.

Along the way my interest in quilting took many different directions and paths leading to where I currently am.

Without those paths I could not be where I am today.

I am going to share some of my somewhat recent work with you so you can see where I am along that path today.

FAST FORWARD TO 2013-2014………………..

image

You’ve seen this one recently and it was the first time I’ve made blocks with freeform curved piecing.

image

I was never going to dye my own fabric…I thought it took too much time and I could buy it from others and save my valuable time for creating.

icedyesunday3

There is no way anyone else could have dyed this piece I recently dyed!

image

I know I am much more comfortable with my own original designs. 

image

I love designs that don’t repeat in a regular format and are asymmetrical and somewhat intuitive.

This doesn’t mean these are the only types of designs I create, but they are those I am generally most satisfied with.

I also have learned not to rush a piece to complete it. I know that like fine wine, some take a long time….even years and that’s OK with me.

Where do I go from here?

Wherever the path leads me!

5 comments:

Susie Q said...

Glad to be on this side of the path with you.

Robbie said...

Thanks for the 'walk down Kaye's way'...what fun to see your work along the way!!! And you know the circle piece at the end is my favorite!! I loved it when you showed it last year or the year before?? A great piece!!

Leslie Tucker Jenison said...

It is so much fun to see the pathway you are on right now, and a little trip down memory lane! You Go!

Leslie Tucker Jenison said...

Such fun to see what you have been up to!

Cathy Perlmutter said...

Thanks for taking us along on the ride! Love the pieces you showed!