Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Five Forever


I won first place in the "Quilters Express to Japan" competition with this quilt. The prize was a trip to Japan and to the Yokohama Quilt Festival. Unfortunately the winner of the Grand Prize got the trip. I received some lovely fabric packets for a full year. The fabrics are beautifully presented and I absolutely love what I received. I do hope some day to join Susan Faeder on one of her trips to Japan. I can't think of a better way to see the country.

In this photo I am showing the quilt at show and tell. Notice how I am dressed to match the quilt. If you look at people when they show a quilt at show and tell often what they are wearing matches the quilt. I purposely try NOT to do this, but I certainly did here.

Although I didn't get to go the the Yokohama Quilt Festival, my quilt did. It was quite an honor to have my quilt shown in Japan.

This competition required us to use a particular group of fabrics - gorgeous fabrics. Susan Faeder also wrote a little Japanese fable and I based by quilt on this and continued the story. If you look at the 5 warriors that make up the star you will see each one repeated as a mirror image across from himself. I did this by using the same fabric in another coloration and used the wrong side of the fabric to allow them to remain together forever in another time and space.

It was a challenge to create this quilt, but it was a very pleasurable journey.

Tonight's post is a stretched out version of my Cosmic Garden quilt.
I dye painted the fabric for this quilt in Houston at Quilt Festival many years ago. It took me quite some time to come up with an idea of how to use it. I often say "fabric has to age" and that was certainly true here. I am pleased with the finished quilt.
Click to Mix and Solve

1 comment:

LoieJ said...

Your quilt looks intriguing.