Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Journey–The Quilt On My Blog Header

image

I had someone ask about the quilt on my header and I thought this would be a good time to share information about it.

This quilt is 18 1/2 inches wide and 320 inches long.

It is a two sided quilt made completely with hand dyed fabrics.

image

One side uses reds and it’s variations alternating with grays and blacks.

 image

The other side uses greens, oranges and yellows alternating with browns and tans. I designed it with  a definite progression of colors.

As it swoops you see alternate sides…..which was my plan to show it off.

It was made for a competition but it didn’t photograph well in it’s original configuration where it only swooped about 3 times. For this reason it was never shown in a show or competition.

It was constructed in 1998. It remained in storage in my studio until I came up with this idea of how I could use it.

Our sunroom is almost a cube with plaster walls and tile floors which means poor acoustics.

As time went on I have added as many soft surfaces as possible.

image

The wall above the opening into the kitchen was a perfect place to hang this.

I experimented with the swooping on the tables in my studio to see if it would fit and work.

When I was satisfied it would I searched the internet for a strong and long enough pole to hang it.

We put it on the pole in the approximate configuration it would hang before putting the pole on the brackets.

It was then adjusted to hang in a pleasing manner.

If works well to add sound resistance as well as beauty to it’s surroundings.

Like all the quilts I hang it was not designed for a specific place but it eventually was the perfect quilt for a specific space.

MY ADVICE TO ANYONE CHOOSING ART: FALL IN LOVE WITH SOMETHING AND YOU WILL FIND A PLACE FOR IT!

3 comments:

Christine Staver said...

What a cool idea! You are so creative. I never would have thought of anything like this. Wonderful!

Norma Schlager said...

I've often admired your banner and enjoyed hearing your journey in making it.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Thank you for sharing the story behind your banner quilt. As you say, it fits the space perfectly.