Monday, August 28, 2017

A Newly Finished Quilt

image
This started out trying to use some scraps of fabric I was not pleased with, yet not ready to throw away. They were odd shapes and sizes.
My friend Robbie Porter Payne had a Thermofax screen that was interesting and fit the size of my scraps so I printed 4 identical designs. I believe these are some sort of diagram from the auto industry.

Next was the challenge of trying to make something with them. I trimmed each of them to the same size and found the burgundy dyed fabric I had created earlier. The little circle design was also from one of her screens but I messed it up. No problem, cut out the good part and used it for the center.
It needed something more so I pulled out more of my dyed fabrics and added Thermofax printing from one of my original design screens to create the border fabric.
I had very little of the burgundy fabric left to bind it. I figured out mathematically how to get enough for a narrow binding. WHOOPS! I cut it a quarter inch too wide.I found some very small scraps of the fabric and was able to stretch it to fit.
What a relief to finish it and it only took about 2 years.
My journey from start to finish is never a straight line!

7 comments:

Robbie said...

Loved it when the paint was still wet on your fabric and love this piece even more.

The Inside Stori said...

Well this is certainly a success…..you do have a knack of making it all work together…..very nice Kay!

Vera Holmgren said...

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Vera Holmgren said...

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

Debbie said...

I have just "discovered" you and as a long time quilter, but just beginning dyer, I am fascinated by the patterns and textures you have achieved. Do you teach a class or have a blog for just dyeing techniques? You are SOOOO talented!

Ann said...

What a great recovery. The partially seamed center adds a spinning fan feel to this quilt which goes well with the auto theme.
Congratulations.

Cathy Perlmutter said...

Very interesting piece! I thought it has a kind of army tank/camouflage feel to it!