Friday, August 25, 2017

Double Ikat Textile

image
I received this as a gift from my friend Sita Rao.
I LOVE it. My first reaction was to use it as a scarf or shawl. I realized it needed to be displayed somewhere in my home to be truly appreciated. It now has a place of honor in my studio.
This is an art that almost died out until the the government in India stepped in. They designated 3 cities/regions in India to produce this type of weaving. Now I may not have all the details correct and I hope Sita will read this and clarify it. My information is in Florida I believe.
I love the colors, the pattern and the skill that went into weaving this with such fine cotton threads. And more so I love the fact that she would gift me something that would be so perfect for me.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

WOW...impressive...I would have this laying out for all to see!! Very nice gift!