Thursday, July 19, 2018

Throw Back Thursday–Way Back To The 50’s

I recently shared a page from my 4H booklet I made with records of  my sewing projects in the late 50’s.
I mentioned I had used many of the scraps in the first two quilts I made.
I am pleased to share with you some close-ups from those quilts.
image
They were made for my mother and father in law. They were patchwork on both sides as I had more scraps than money. I used old fashioned Mountain Mist cotton batting. I tied them with wool worsted yarn on the floor.
image
Fortunately they never used them. Had they been washed there would have been one big wad of stuffing inside.
image
When my my mother in law passed away I  got the quilts. I took them apart with the intentions of making each one into a single quilt and backing it with a solid piece of fabric to make a usable size quilt.
image
I expected the thread to be weak, but it was as strong as the day I  made them and very difficult to take out the stitching. At this time I have still not turned them into new quilts. But oh, the memories as I look at the fabrics!
image
I hope by sharing this post it will help collectors date their quilts by seeing pre 1960 fabrics which all of these are. Some are much older but most are 1950s.
image

No comments: