Friday, December 10, 2021

Sorensen Heritage Quilt Number 4 and the Story of the Quilts


 This is the story of  the Sorensen Heirloom quilts.

It is printed on a label on the back of each quilt.

Heirloom Quilt made by your grandma Kay Koeper Sorensen

To Blake, Jessica, Nicholas and Jared Sorensen

This quilt is quite different than what you are familiar with as the quilts I currently create.

It was made with scraps of fabric from sewing projects I created from 1954 through 1962.

It is one of 4 similar quilts that were originally 2 twin size quilts.

The 2 quilts were the first quilts I made and finished.

They were originally made for your great grandparents Harold and Florence Sorensen as Christmas gifts in 1962.

They were patchwork on both sides as I had more time than money.

They were filled with old fashioned cotton batting and tied with wool worsted yarn on the floor in Edon, Ohio while I was 8 months pregnant with Greg Sorensen.

The reason they survived and have been made into 4 quilts were because your great grandma Florence Cooper Sorensen didn’t use gifts she was given for whatever her reasons were. Had she used and washed them they would have probably had frayed seams as I did not use adequate seam allowances in some places and the batting would have been one ball of cotton inside the quilts.

When she passed away in 1971, I again became the custodian of these quilts. I took them apart intending to make 4 quilts. I was concerned the light green thread I had purchased at a Junior House clothing fabric sale on a large cone might have deteriorated but found it to be as strong as the day they were made.

This took many years to accomplish but I am happy they now are finished for you and future generations to love and cherish for the future.

Since none of you or your father were familiar with any of these fabrics, I am also creating a memory story sharing some of the fabrics and their stories.


3 comments:

Robin said...

Kay-how excited I was to see a post from you! It has been way too long. I love the story of the quilts and I'm sure they will be treasured by your family for generations.
Have a wonderful holiday and a happy new year!

Susie Q said...

I am now a genealogist as well as a quilter and love that you have put the story on the quilts for future generations. I too am happy to see your new posts.

Nina Marie said...

There you are Kay!!! I was beginning to worry!!! Love this story and the quilt is happily scrappy!