Saturday, June 14, 2014

The Grandmother Connection

I’ve borrowed this title from Julie Silber’s emotional presentation.

Julie’s heartwarming lecture is about quilting and the connection between grandmothers and granddaughters.

My grandchildren have always been around my quilting in my studio and have all been introduced to sewing on the sewing machine or even by hand.

One of my 4 granddaughters enjoys quilting and has made two bed sized quilts as well as other smaller projects.

She also has a fabric collection!

image

This is the first quilt Dana made in a high school class. She did an excellent job matching seams and did not cut off points.

She also arranged the 2 different orientations of the stars in diagonal rows. I’m very proud of her and her workmanship and design skills.

image

This quilt is the second full sized one she made, also in a high school class.

She designed it on Excel! I use Excel but never realized it could be used for designing.

She had never heard the saying “Color gets all the credit, but value does all the work.”

She did a great job with value on this.

image

I converted the image to grayscale and the mastery of choosing values is even more obvious.

I will take official portraits of these quilts and hope to get them straighter using my tripod.

She also left my house last night with an armload of fabric. Some of it was fabric she selected and we bought years ago. Others were fabrics that will work into her current quilting style.

I am very proud of her.

1 comment:

suz said...

Your granddaughter did indeed construct 2 beautiful quilts. After checking your Spoonflower page, it is easy to see why she is so talented.

Must be in the DNA.