Monday, April 24, 2017

Knitting - It’s All About COLOR and TEXTURE

One of the reasons I enjoy knitting these afghans so much is that I love to work with color and use color flow in so much of my art. I am able to make these transitions because I have acquired quite a palette of yarn with more on the way.

The very first one I made was my attempt to use up some of the yarn I had. I soon had to start filling in colors to make it work. And now I have a lot more yarn than I started with!

image
Over the years I have refined and  improved the methods for the pieces I create. I can make them specifically for family and friends to enhance the colors they love. I no longer add fringe as it tickles you when you use them!
Coopers afghan 002
image
I rarely make them to coordinate to a decorating scheme and that is something that people change on a whim
[image%255B9%255D.png]
The textures inherent in the yarns give me another way to make spectacular art. The yarns vary in weight and thickness which just adds to creating another degree of texture. I do seek out many novelty yarns in my quest as it adds even more interest.
image
I can also combine any and all types of yarn no matter what the fiber content.
image
Of course knitting (and most other handwork) is one of the most relaxing things we can do…unless it is one of those patterns we have to pay attention to for each and every stitch.
IMG_2078
Since I only use garter stitch that is not a concern for me as I knit them.
afghanfallcolors4222017
This one is still a work in progress and I am awaiting more special yarns to finish it.
The finished pieces are soft, comfy and warm.
These are just a few of the 17 I have made to date and I am now working on number 18.

1 comment:

claudia said...

I love these pieces! I have tried several times to knit. I just can't get it! Believe me, I have tried every way I can think of to learn the craft.
Looking at your beautiful knitting makes me want to go for another try!