Sunday, April 1, 2012

Quilts and Clay = Color And Cutting

I find a lot of similarities working with fabric, dye and paint making quilts and creating with clay.

Of course the most obvious is probably color.
I LOVE color and both mediums fill my soul with the infinite variety of colors I can use.

Creating a variety of patterns in each medium is a challenging way to create pleasing creations.


This is a group of 20 unbaked amulets.
Making the canes, which is one of the beginning processes to make these, is like slicing and dicing fabrics.

When I bake these there is usually a slight change in the colors. I intend to keep these separate from the other ones I bake so I can show you the difference in a few days.


The milky white area on this amulet is actually transparent clay. It should become transparent and shiny when it is baked.

I hope you will stay tuned to follow this adventure in polymer clay!

2 comments:

Robin said...

Love all the patterns and colors of the buttons. Do you ever make square ones? how long does it take to make a button.
Puzzle of the enlarged picture of the one button please.

Katie said...

Wow, I quilt, dye, and polymer clay too! A lady from my own heart! WOW, although I've got stockpiles of clay, I don't much have time for it anymore since most of my time is spent quilting ;c) Beautiful cane work!