Thursday, September 18, 2008

Eight Pointed Star for One Armed Quilter


Several years ago I was unable to use my left arm and was in considerable pain. I was not recovering and the pain medication was not doing it's job. I knew that doing something positive could help the healing process.

When I couldn't sleep I got up at 4 a.m. and thought about making a Lone Star quilt with strips I had already cut. I went to the computer and using the first colors on the palette designed a Lone Star.

I pulled out my box of strips and with one arm began sewing them together. As I did each step, I noticed I was improving enough to do the next step.

After making all the points I looked through my fabric collection and finally found the perfect fabric to finish the quilt.

After completing the first quilt top I realized I had the same background print in another color way.

I created this Broken Star using this fabric as my inspiration


I wanted to do this with a fabric that did not have a quarter circle design.


This quilt was done with a fabric with a linear color striation.

I will be teaching my Eight Pointed Star for One Armed Quilter at the Lighthouse Quilt Guild in Racine, Wisconsin on Monday September 29, 2008.


I will also be doing my lecture "Creating Spectacular Quilts" for them that evening.

9 comments:

Melody Johnson said...

Wow! I am impressed. What a perfect fabric for the insets in that star.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Those are phenominal!!!

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful and inspirational! What an achievement with one arm!

Diane Doran said...

Those are really beautiful! I love your use of color.

Vicki W said...

I love your one-armed stars!

Norma Schlager said...

Talk about a wow factor! These are very impressive!
Those curved insets really do the trick and your colors are wonderful.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Very striking quilts!

verobirdie said...

I'm sure I would not have achieved those, even with two arms! Very striking indeed.

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

I've just damaged my right hand but I'm not going to attmpt this rught now!
But I do have some of that fabric in my stash. I have a funny feeling I only have six of them so a six inch star will be the answer.
Very cool quilts