Thursday, September 25, 2008

In Living Color


When Jinny Beyer first came out with her palette fabrics I bought some 5" squares of each of the 100 colors. They got me so excited I had to make something with them right away.
I drew up squares divided into either 12 or 13 wedges so I could use all 100 colors.
I pieced the section of colored squares closest to the middle.
But - I had a problem.
Since the fabric squares were only 5 inches I was left with a hole at one corner of each square. To fill in this section I fussy cut pieces from a black paisley print and appliqued them over the holes.
I had no overall design in mind when I started making this. Each round was designed as I was ready to do it. I made design decisions to enhance and relate to the work already created.
The next step was designing something for the star in the center. I chose to use a gray to black gradations design. Each diamond was hand appliqued.
The third round was similar to the center but I only used 2 fabrics in each diamond.
Round four was more of the palette fabric with either 12 or 13 in each unit.
The last round was another black to gray gradation.
I hand quilted this quilt.
It won First Place Professional in RJR's Palette Fabric competition.
It was pictured in McCalls Quilting Magazine.
I was also featured on Simply Quilts with this quilt.
Occasionally old shows from Simply Quilts are shown on TV and I will have people come up to me and say "I saw you on Simply Quilts" last week.

4 comments:

Judi said...

Kay that is one beautiful quilt. I just love it. I didn't know we had a celebrity among us. VBG

Judi said...

Kay that is one beautiful quilt. I just love it. I didn't know we had a celebrity among us. VBG

Stitch 'n Dye said...

Hello Kay this is Sue's niece Beth. You are a very clever quilter.

Love Beth

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

I have heard so much about you Beth and I am so glad to hear from you.
Thank you for the complement.
I'll look forward to seeing what you and Sue do this weekend.
K