Monday, April 25, 2011
Contemplating, Cogitating, Considering, Pondering - Crystal Clear
This is a work I started a few years ago.
This is a closeup which allows you to see the detail better. Click on the photo and it will become larger so you can see it more clearly. I left it larger than normal.
I painted the fabric in layers, not knowing what would happen to the lower layers.
I cut out and layered the serendipitous shapes and hand stitched them to a base.
The last hand stitch has been taken and now it is time to reflect on what has happened to this point and decide where to go from here with the quilting.
1. Hand or machine?
2. Maybe this doesn't even need quilting? Maybe it is done? Is that what it is telling me?
3. Should I stop now?
4. Should I finish it with a facing to give it a soft edge?
5. Will quilting take away from what is already there?
As I type away these thoughts come into my head. Thanks for being there so I can talk to you and think and ponder.
6. Should I mount it on stretcher frames?
7. Should I finish the edge with a soft facing and then attach it to a painted stretcher frame by stitching it to the canvas?
8. Should I add a picture frame frame to the canvas?
Yes, there are a lot of options available and I believe that is why it is still a work in progress.
It needed this time and I needed this time to decide the best way to finish it.
While I still am not sure what I will do with it, I am beginning to get a clearer picture.
That picture seems to be ruling out quilting - both hand and machine and even irregular tacking stitches visible on the top.
It also is pointing in the direction of mounting on a painted canvas.
I am so hoping there is a canvas size available that this will create a perfect marriage with as far as proportion.
So there you have it - these are my current thoughts. This is how my mind works and the thought process I use to make decisions.
If you know me well, you also know tomorrow I may change my ideas and come up with a newer and hopefully better solution to this dilemma!