Thursday, March 14, 2013

My Fabric Designs

image

This is one yard of 42 inch wide fabric. I designed it and had it printed at Spoonflower.

I am so pleased with it. It could be used as a border around a quilt. There are 4 vertical repeats and to the best of my knowledge most quilts have 4 sides. If you wanted a narrower border you could do half a repeat and get 8 strips.

You could also cut the individual motifs and use them as alternating blocks or featured blocks in a quilt or wall hanging.

I had it printed on Kona cotton and it is wonderful. I am sure I will be ordering many more yards of this.

image

This is a close-up of the design.

My granddaughter is taking a black and white photography class at the Glasgow (Scotland) School Of Art. I am thinking her photos printed on fabric could be awesome combined with this fabric.

I also would like to see it combined with bright colors.

Rather than iron this and iron out the fold lines I have left them visible so you can see this actually is a piece of fabric, not just a design.

I have also had several other fabrics printed.

I am considering whether or not to make some of them available for sale through Spoonflower.

If any of you would purchase this if I made it for sale let me know. That will help me make my decision.

20 comments:

Michele Lasker said...

Kay, the fabric is just exquisite. Spoonflower is on my to do list - just not there yet.

Go for it!

Anonymous said...

This is a very cool organic looking design; especially considering it is your first! Wow!

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

It’s not really my first design.
I have been designing things forever.
It’s just the first I’m showing.

dorothy said...

I really like it, I find it hard to find black/white fabric I like.

Verry cool

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Thanks Dorothy.
I tried to come up with something a little more sophisticated than the run of the mill black and whites.

Ava Louise said...

That is lovely. I'm not very good at seeing / recognizing details. I know if I like something, but that's about the extent of it. I guess that's what makes an artist. My daughter is very good at that and is a great photographer. Her house full of small children keep her busy at the present but someday she'll have time.

Unknown said...

Way cool!

Terri said...

Looks like a kaleidoscope of trees... I like it!
Hugs

Linda Steele said...

I really like it at well, not too heavy and might look good with black and white photos.

Anonymous said...

I could see it cut crossways, too. I like it, but cost would be a factor in my buying it. I like the idea you have of putting it with your granddaughter's b & w drawings.

Teresa said...

I'd buy it!! Please make it available...

Pam said...

Hiya!!! I love the design, and could see myself using it. The main factor would be the cost, as earlier noted. But it is beautiful. Blessed be, hugs!!!

Cathy Perlmutter said...

It's beautiful, Kay. Did it start as a photograph? It would make a spectacular border. I would buy it. What scale would you make it? I'm trying to think whether I'd like it tiny, huge, or in between. I encourage you to move ahead with it!

Nancy said...

I love the idea of creating your own fabric. Does Spoonflower have a minimum amount of yardage you have to order?

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Their minimum is just an 8 x 8 inch swatch.
You can order fat quarters, single yards and yardage.
Of course the yard price is much more economical per square inch than smaller quantities.

Unknown said...

Beautiful and so intriguing! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Nina Marie said...

ohhhh love the design! One of these days I'm going to give spoonflower a try!

Nina Marie said...

ohhh this is gorgeous - one of these days I'll give spoonflower a try!

Anonymous said...

Well, this is a truly beautiful design. What a wonderful process. Did you mention that it will be yardage for sale? I love it.

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

I have decided it WILL be for sale. I want to be sure I do it right so as soon as I take care of that I will let you all know it is ready to buy.