Sunday, February 22, 2015

Brain Waves

image

I have finished another quilt, but not without a major bump in the road along the way.

image

This is what it looked like last time I showed it to you.

You may remember I was making two companion quilts. I decided the companion quilt needed two more rows of satin stitching. I got the stitching done on the companion quilt although it wasn’t as easy to do the stitching as it had been doing it the first time. Then I looked for this quilt so that I could trim them.

It was right underneath the other quilt and I had satin stitched through both quilts!

Of course I had no choice but to remove the stitching. It was not easy to remove as it was a very narrow row with the stitches very close together. It didn’t take me as long as expected – only about 3 hours. Of course it helped that my friend Sally was her working on her quilt so I had someone to talk to while I did it.

image

When the satin stitches were removed they left very prominent needle holes in the quilt.

I cleaned up the loose threads and steamed it but the holes were still obvious.

So I threaded the machine with the same thread I had previously used and proceeded to add three more rows of stitching.

I barely had enough thread and finished the last row with less than a yard of the thread I was using!

I turned a lemon into lemonade as the extra rows of stitching added more interest and movement to the piece.

I did have help naming this one in a brain storming session with a friend.

5 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

All I can say is YIKES!!!!!

Sandi Whitford said...

Beautiful and creative save! Yikes is right!

Norma Schlager said...

I like it even better with those extra rows, but I imagine you were ready to tear your hair out when you first discovered it. Good save!

Robbie said...

How many of us can say "been there...done that"!! Looks good!!!

Janis Doucette said...

Serendipitous solution- looks great with the two rows. Done this too!