Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The Purging And Reorganizing Life Of A Collector

Some of you may remember several years ago when I would set a goal to get rid of the number of items corresponding to the number of the year it was.
I was very successful and always met my goal.
I have not done the goal setting for several years but I continued along that path.
If you open this link you can see the where I was June 2nd.
http://quiltspluscolor.blogspot.com/2018/06/more-studio-viewlooks-like-i-was-either.html

This year I set a very serious goal to purge and reorganize my studio. I have been working on it for over 3 months now and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. But that light is still dim.
If you walked into the studio today you might ask me when I was going to start doing this.
image
I have donated over 50 boxes of fabric, about 40 bolts and many other items to various charities, family and friends.
image
This is the next group of fabrics ready to donate to the ladies who make the quilts for Lutheran World Relief.
Now before anyone tells me I can’t use these priority boxes they are from a class of Priority Mail that was discontinued. I asked if I could cross out and use them and I was told very emphatically NO. So I fill them, they pick them up, they return them and I refill them. A much better use that sending them to a land fill.

I spend hours up there just about every day. It takes time to decide what to pass on, what to keep and where to put the things I am keeping so they are most accessible.
image
Just a few of the boxes that have seen better days and are going into the recycle bin as well as a bag of trash or two.
image
It is not just the studio. There is a 12 x 14 foot storeroom attached to the studio. I am now working at the far end of the storeroom.
Will I reach my goal? I am determined to finish this in the very near future.
In case you think that is all I do up there, I want to let you know I have been working on a few projects so I remember why I have this dream studio in the tree tops.
AND IN CLOSING, REMEMBER, STUFF EXPANDS TO FILL THE SPACE AVAILABLE!

1 comment:

Susie Q said...

It takes time to decide what to pass on, what to keep you say ---- would love to know what you ask yourself in this process of "deciding"...???