Monday, May 15, 2017

Don’t Believe It If They Say It is PFD Or Prewashed By Someone Else


This T shirt is from a company who dyes and washes their garments before selling them. SO…,I just figured I could dye it without prewashing it myself.
BIG mistake.
It didn’t want to absorb the soda ash solution so I just added more and tried to squish it through the fabric. Well, it was obvious when I took it out of the dye it didn’t make it all the way through.
This is the front.
IMG_2183
IMG_2184
This is the back and the same thing happened on the inner layer. Not only did the dye not work, but I lost all the patterning I had carefully arranged when I was trying to squish the liquid into the fabric.
The only thing I like a little is the colors I got, but even they were not what I would usually get with those dye colors.
If this doesn’t make a believer out of you, then you too likely will experience something like this when you are dyeing something special.
Is it worth the risk to take a chance when it is so easy to prewash your fabric or garment?

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Until I met you, I didn't realize I should pre-wash PfD fabrics.....explains a lot of failures in my dyeing experience! Thanks again, Kay!!!!!