Saturday, June 18, 2011

It's As Clear As Black And White - Adventures In Designing A Quilt

Today was a day I needed to sew.
I headed up to the studio and was not exactly sure what I was going to work on.

I pulled out a drawer of strips I had cut, partially sewn units and some larger things I had started.



This is the piece that spoke loudest to me and I decided I would make a finished piece with it.
You can get an idea of the size by looking at the 1" grid on the cutting matt.



I have added 3 borders here. It does not look particularly interesting at this point.



After adding a fourth border I decided to add some more patchwork, echoing the center section.



You can see now the second side with patchwork added.



I decided to change course and add a section of patchwork and a section of strip pieced border for the third side. I felt this was a unifying step.



I used a variation of what I did on the third side on the fourth side.

I think this is finished. I will do some trimming and reshape the outer edge.

As usual, I will need to think about how I am going to quilt this. I have a pretty good idea as to how I will do that, but I am not so sure what color thread to use.

I just realized this would make a great puzzle so I opened the blog again and added a puzzle.
Click to Mix and Solve

2 comments:

Mary Stori said...

Great energy and design Kay!!! Love what you've done.

Anonymous said...

It is interesting how this quilt grew and grew and grew. I was hoping for a puzzle as you say, it is a great design for a puzzle....that is until I saw the puzzle "cut"....this is going to take some time. Serious time...guess I will go let the dogs in first.