Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mt. Dora Quilt Show

I had heard great things about the Mt. Dora Quilt Show for several years.



This quilt by Linda Green won Best Of Show.


The quilting on this quilt was amazing and complemented the design of the quilt. It certainly deserved Best Of show.

I asked several friends if they were going to be there.
I heard from almost all of them. I made plans to go to the show with Peggy Erlich and Jody Webb. I forgot to get a picture of the three of us at the show.

When I got there I knew I had to find the three friends who told me they would be there. With the help of some of the quilt guild hostesses I was able to find them all.

I found Linda Cole first. She was the easiest to find as she was giving a demo. I had someone take a picture of the two of us, but they must have hit the wrong button and there was no picture in the camera.


This is one of the quilts I was drawn to and took a picture of. It was a prize winner and deservedly so. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the name or the person who made it and it was my friend Linda Cole!


I asked the helpful quilt show hostess if she had seen Carol Gordhamer? She found her for me. Carol and I have been Facebook friends for quite some time but had never met in person. We have so many things in common, including growing up in the same city in Wisconsin. It was SO good to finally meet and we will get together soon for lunch and yarn shopping and whatever else we decide to do.


As soon as I met quilters in Florida they all asked me if I was related to Mary Sorensen. Of course we are related. We are "pretend" sisters. We met as members of Illinois Quilters about 30 years ago. It had been about 28 years since we had seen each other. The quilt show was VERY crowded and fortunately Mary had given me her cell phone number so I attempted to contact her that way. No answer, but she did get my message. Within a few minutes we found each other. We spent almost 30 minutes trying to catch up on the last 28 years. We will get together after snow bird season.


This Lone Star quilt was one I really liked. Each of the squares around the star was a different batik fabric. The quilting on the squares was done with a New York Beauty design.

The show was wonderful. It was so very crowded and that is why I don't have a lot of pictures. It is one I will attend again.

After the show we went to Historic Downtown Mt. Dora and had lunch at the Goblin Market. It is one of my very favorite places to eat. I had the Tempura Fried Artichoke Hearts - to die for!

It was a perfect thing to do on one of our perfect days weatherwise in Florida. We've had even more perfect warm days than usual this year and for that I am so thankful.

1 comment:

Robbie said...

The Mt Dora showed looks like it was a great day for you!! And to hook up with so many friends!!! Good for you!!! Sorry I couldn't make it!! But I was down under with a bug after all!!! Thanks for pics...beautiful work lady's did on the quilts!!