Friday, March 2, 2012

Oh, Pretty Fabrics - More Underpainting!

I underpainted more fabrics than I had planned on.
I mixed up more dye than I needed and couldn't let it go to waste.


Here are 5 of the pieces hanging up to dry. I used two different methods to do the underpainting on these.


I used a totally different method for this piece. As my friend Peggy and I were studying all the pieces she chose this one as her favorite. It was time well spent as we studied and analyzed the fabrics. I decided what I would do next with this one. Peggy was a chemist in a previously life. Even though she is not and has no intention of becoming a dyer she was able to give me some suggestions of things I might try with my dyes. (I got a message from her this morning and she may reconsider becoming a dyer after she spent time with my fabrics yesterday!)


This was one of my favorites and I will attempt to save the colors just as they are.


When I finished I still had leftover dyes. I decided to combine the similar colors in 3 pots and see how the colors would wick onto various fabrics. I got some interesting results.

The rose colors were done on a cotton/linen brocade. The texture of the brocade and the colors gave a very Victorian feeling to this piece.

I just can't get enough of color and the effects of the dye. The more I do the more I want to do!

Because I have to roll some of these on poles, and do other things to some of the others I will not get to my big dyeing session today - probably not tomorrow either. I am anxious to see the final results and I'll keep working at it.

I am sharing a colorful puzzle with you today.
Click to Mix and Solve

3 comments:

Peggy said...

It os amazing how "true" your pictures are to the color of these pieces. Pretty.

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

You are right.
They really are.

Robin said...

I like the bright colors of the underpainting as is- no shibori needed. too bad you can't combine both- like a before and after into one quilt. Thanks for the puzzle.