Monday, February 9, 2009

Honey I'm Home!

After 3 or 4 changes and postponements I'm finally in Florida. I set my alarm (the TV) for 6:30 a.m. and realized the sound wasn't working. I hoped the light on the screen would wake me. It didn't. At 7:10 the phone rang. It was my son checking to see I was up.
I hadn't asked him to call and I was so happy he thought to do it. Fortunately I had everything pretty well ready and a list of last minute things to do. What didn't get done the house sitters will take care of.
Then my ride was late but we made it to the airport in plenty of time. I feel so at home at the Milwaukee airport. So I just took it easy at the airport and all of a sudden it was time to board. I was the last one to board the plane. The flight left early and we arrived early. I slept through the entire flight. Once I got to Orlando it took me more time to get from the airport to Seldom Inn than the flight took. Once I arrived home the "fun" began.
First it was time on the phone with DirecTV getting them to turn on the service which should have already have been turned on. That probably took a half hour.
Then the real fun began. I tried to log on the internet. I couldn't connect so I called Embarq and we figured out my modem was not working anymore and I'd need a new one. They said they'd send it in 3 business days - sure! I asked if I could just pick one up at their office. When I picked it up I asked if there was anything special I needed to do and he said all I had to do was plug it in. SURE, 3 hours and several phone calls later I finally had working internet service. My son helped me trouble shoot and when he couldn't do the rest I had to call Embarq and jump through hoops again.
Are we blessed or cursed with the technology available to us today?
OK - now I was getting hungry so I headed to the grocery store. It was CLOSED. I was still on CST and the store is on EST. I picked up fast food and rushed home to send you this daily post.
I think I will sleep very well tonight as flying always tires me out.

I'd like to share a quilt I have here. I painted 4 different pieces of fabric with thickened fabric dye and then overpainted with fabric paints. I cut the fabric into small pieces and sewed it back together - because that's how you make a quilt! This is the subtle quiet part of the Florida house. This complex quilt is one of those I never get tired of and can look at for along time. There's more to come! And I promise you there WILL be color!

Tonight's puzzle is a quilt I did with the tiny amount I had left after making the first quilt. I also used it to try the quilting pattern I was considering.
Click to Mix and Solve


Exuberant Color said...

I'm glad you arrived safely. I hope the weather is perfect while you are down there.

Eva said...

Technique can be a nuissance, can't it? What annoys me most is a selfish attitude of companies that don't make things compatible, just in order to sell their own products. May they disappear! On the other hand I am so grateful to have these technical means of connecting to you and all my favourite bloggers in no time.

karenfae said...

I bet you will enjoy the warm weather of Florida - have fun - how long are you staying? You almost passed my daughter and family at airports :) LOL she and the family flew back from Orlando to Milwaukee with one stop in between on Sunday!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Happy you are there although our weather today in Wisconsin is in the high 50's! I would love to see a close up of that quilt. It looks fantastic.