Saturday, May 30, 2009

More about using grayscale


I received many comments about converting images to grayscale to evaluate them. I thought I'd share a few of my other quilts in grayscale. This is Southwest Star which you saw earlier this week.

June 2 is a very dark value overall, but it still has contrast with lighter areas.
It is not necessary to have the lightest lights and darkest darks in all compositions. Color and variation in texture are two other design elements I relyed on when composing this.


June 19 is another low contrast example. Soft colors and low contrast are usually more peaceful and relaxing.

Deb asked how I convert these to gray scale. I used Corel Draw and Corel Photo Paint for my graphic work. Adobe Photoshop also has similar functions.
In Corel Photo Paint I do all my normal things to get the photo the size, etc I want.
Then I simply go to Image and select Convert to Grayscale.

I used a super easy cut for this puzzle of June 2. Without color to help, you know how hard it is to do a puzzle.
Click to Mix and Solve

No comments: