Monday, June 15, 2009
See How My Garden Grows (In fabric of course!)
See How My Garden Grows is a tesselation. I learned Jinny Beyer's method of doing tesselations and after figuring out I needed to do a tesselation starting with a triangle to get the calla lily effect I wanted there was no holding me back. I quickly drafted the pattern, chose fabric, stacked the fabric and cut several layers at a time. I eyeballed the seam allowance.
I was bound determined I would have several blocks pieced between the time I left the afternoon session and I returned that evening. I did. The only drawback to using this super quick method was accuracy was not as great as it should have been.
I was still able to make the 12 blocks, sew them together, design a border and attach it.
When I got it all pieced I'll have to admit the quilt had hills and valleys. What to do, what to do?
My solution was to use 2 layers of Hobb's wool batting and distribute the fullness throughout the quilt, hoping to quilt our the excess.
I'd like to share some closeups of the quilting with you as I feel the quilting designs really enhanced the design of this quilt.
Each block consists of a leaf and a small amount of the flamingo color background fabric. This also lets you see a closeup of a block. If you click to enlarge this you will see the quilting even better.
The quilt started with the patterned fabric. I dye painted it in a class with Judy Walter about 20 years ago. It was less that a half yard. The flamingo color fabric is a nice weight of cotton sateen decorator fabric. The value gradation of greens are from Jinny Beyer's Palette collection. The 2 darkest greens are from another fabric line.
Using 2 layers of batting definitely gave some depth and dimension to my quilting and allows you to see it very clearly. Probably the irregular surface also contributed to the depth of the quilting design. However I do not plan on doing a hills and valleys quilt top anytime soon again.
When the quilt was completed, but before it was bound, I wet it thoroughly and pinned it to my design wall to block it. Then I trimmed and bound it. I am pleased with the finished work even though the journey was anything but smooth.
Tonight's puzzle uses my favorite cut - lizzards!