Friday, April 24, 2009

Graduate School for Quilters - Design


This quilt which has the working title "Worms and Jelly Beans" is a study piece for a two larger quilts. It is about 12 x 15 inches or a little larger. I teach a class called "Graduate School for Quilters - Design". This was one of the projects for the class.
Students chose fabrics and then piece 2 backgrounds based on the proportions of the Golden Rectangle. One was to be oriented in landscape layout and the other portrait layout. There were several other guidelines to follow. I find design problems are a great way to teach something and yet allow each student to do work that is original.

The next step was to pick fabrics for the applique that contrasted with their backgrounds. These fabric was backed with Wonder Under and shapes were cut to fill each space. The shapes were fused in place. At this point they had to make a decision on what they would do with the edges of the shapes.
They COULD NOT just leave them fused. The outline was a part of the design assignment.
Possible ways of finishing included satin stitching with low contrast thread, zig zagging with high contrast thread, and painting.
The result of the students work was exciting. I wish I had photos to share of their work.
This is just one of the several different projects students did in this class which met for 6 sessions spread out over a period of time to allow them to coplete each piece before moving on the the next one.

I chose to do my stitching with metallic thread. Metallic thread can create it's own set of challenges but I was very pleased with the results in this piece. Of course I tested my stitch on a sample with the same fabrics with the same batting and techniques before I stitched on the actual quilt. If I were to do the same thing with the same thread but a different machine I would test it again.

If my images aren't as clear as they used to be or if you find more typing errors it is because I broke my spare Rx glasses (broke the others 3 weeks ago) and the only Rx glasses I have are my sunglasses. So I am working and living without glasses.
It will be a week before I see the eye doctor and then I have to add to that the amount of time it will take to have new glasses made.

I'm going to use the same quilt for tonight's puzzle.
Click to Mix and Solve

3 comments:

Eva said...

Another proof that working within rules or limits is fun!

Donna said...

oooo I so wish I lived somewhere that offered such a course -- it sounds like exactly what I've been looking for and failing to find :-(

Ever consider doing an online version...

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

I have seriously considered on line classes but have yet to find time.
But I never say never.

Keep watching and if I decide to y'all will be the first to know.
K