Saturday, April 5, 2014

Wingspan–Is It A Scarf Or Is It A Shawl?

image
I don’t really care which one it is. The thing I really love about it is that it is DONE!
The ends are woven in and all it needs now is blocking.
This was a project that took much longer than I expected.
WHY! Well I read the directions wrong. It started out: Sl1P, K2……..
I read it as K2 together and by the time I got to the 4th point I was running low on stitches…….
The only way to fix it was to rip out ALL I had done……and I had spent almost a full day knitting.
On about the 5th point I dropped 3 stitches and the only way I could resolve that was to rip back almost the entire point!
You may notice the colors don’t appear evenly. I started with a ball of variegated sock yarn in a color that talked to me. It had a long uneven repeat of each color.
I was quite sure it would not be enough for the entire project so I found a partial ball of the green yarn and used that for the first rows of each point,.
I used up every single yard of that variegated yarn and have just a few yards of the green left.
Since I love asymmetrical things the color arrangement works for me.

5 comments:

Dar said...

Such a nice finish. I sympathize with you having to unknit back to the beginning, but it looks lovely. I'm sure you will get lots of "ahs and oohs" when you wear it,

Kathy said...

I recently finished one and started out using scraps of greens...and then had to actually buy some more green to finish it up! It's larger than I thought it would be and I love it. I will be making more than one...Will you?

Ramona said...

I made a shawl with this pattern, too, and really enjoyed making it. There are times when ripping it all out is the only thing to do. Your shawl is beautiful. The ripping was worth it!

Sue H said...

This was one my favorite "shawlettes" to finish. I really like your solution to stretch your yarn. I'll have to remember that!

Unknown said...

I love this! I am not knitter, I wish I was so that I could make this. Great job!