Saturday, May 2, 2015

Kentucky Derby Day In Ocala

image
The most important thing for anyone attending the Kentucky Derby is a hat.
You have to get your hat before you consider your wardrobe.
This is last years hat and I may be restyling it for this years party!
The first Marion County bred horse to win the derby was Needles in 1956. I think it would be too dangerous to add needles to my hat.
A highly rated horse in this years Derby is Materialize. Material/Fabric- - I could add bolts of fabric…..NO I think I already have material on the hat so I think I’ll settle for wearing it as it is.
Marion County is second only to Kentucky when it comes to raising the horses that are important to horse racing.
10 of the 19 horses that will race have Marion County ties.
Included among those 10 horses with county connections are morning-line favorite American Pharoah, at 5-2 and coming out of the 17 post, and Carpe Diem, at 8-1, out of the third gate. There’s a reason American Pharoah is the favorite. Local horseman J.B. McKathan, who broke him, touts as him as the horse to beat. I’m looking forward to attending a derby party in Ocala with this horse in the pasture!



1 comment:

Rachel Parris said...

I envy you a setting where people are excited about the event...including the horses.