Saturday, March 31, 2018

My If I Wanted To Meet A Man In An Airport Coat

I mentioned this coat on Facebook yesterday and my friend Nancy Dunnavan asked me if my coat had been on FB. So here is the blog I wrote about it.
It is being modeled by my DIL Julie who is Greg’s wife.
I talked about this coat some time ago, but did not have a picture to show you.
The weight is similar to the weight of a trench coat, but it is so much more fun to wear than a boring old trench coat!
This is what I said on the previous post:
I posted about a coat I had made from my Slashed Coat/Jacket pattern. The subtitle of mine is "My If I Wanted To Catch A Man In An Airport Coat".
I didn't want to and I don't want to. But every time I wore it men would stop me and ask about it.
The first time it happened I was on the people mover at the Atlanta airport. A man struck up a conversation with me, which surprised me since I was past the age where men hit on you! He was very interested in the coat and very complementary about it.
This continued to happen each time I was in an airport and I was flying a lot back then. It was the perfect weight to go from cold weather to warmer weather.


This is the now famous coat.
This particular one was made with 4 layers of cotton.
The base layer is slightly heavier than a quilting cotton.
Layer 2 is a carmel color quilting weight cotton. (as are all the other layers)
Layer 3 is what makes this so fun and funky. It is made from diagonal strips of red, black and rust alternating in no specific design.
Layer 4 (the outer layer) is an olive quilting weight cotton.
Using 100% cotton is what allows these layers to fluff out when the coat is washed. It is one of those garments that just gets better and better the more you wash it and dry it in the dryer.


Both the front and back have a neat asymmetric design.
Since there are no seam finishes or edge finishes this is a relatively quick coat to make. All the lines are stitched in one direction and there are no extra patterns added to the stitching which also makes this a quick project.
I have made several other variations from this pattern, both jacket and coat length.
They all get a lot of attention each time I wear them.

No comments: