This quilt started as a prototype for a design I wanted to teach. It didn’t look at all like this and it didn’t work for the class. One of the benefits of making quilts is so often the solutions to a design problem are so much better than the original idea. The only one of my quilts that ended up in the wastebasket was my very first. I had just started to sew when I was 13 and had no idea how to make a quilt. I just started sewing various shapes together. That was a long time and over 364 finished quilts ago. It also was well over 100 works in progress ago. I am making some progress finishing these works in progress now that my studio is organized again.
This is the original photo of it. It was not a pleasing composition and was more difficult than what I wanted for the class.
By seeing the reworked quilt on the design wall as I worked on other things in the studio I came up with an appropriate and also easy quilting design to complete it.
I love this quilt and can’t wait to finish it.