Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Using My Entire Design Wall

I am fortunate to have almost 30 feet of pinable design wall in my studio.

This means I can have a lot of work on it at one time.

Entire design wall1

Some of the work is in the early stages. Others are ready to be layered and quilted.

I often have several pieces pinned on top of others as it is a good way to keep them wrinkle free and also be able to find them!

I often hang finished work on the design wall – both to photograph and just to enjoy and decide what I want to do with it.

Entire design wal2

If you are a regular reader of my blog you have probably seen all these at one time or another.

I also can study things and make design decisions, come up with quilting designs or make a decision if a piece is worth going ahead with.

Another benefit is I LOVE color and having work on the design wall surrounds me with color – in a variety of colors and color combinations.

If you are a quilter you might want to think if there are any other places in your studio or home you can hang work while you are working on it.

Could you cover a bookcase with felt using a tension curtain rod to hold the felt in place?

Could you tape an almost completed piece to a place on your wall with painter’s tape?

Could you layer work on your design wall like I do?

Put on your thinking cap and let me know what ideas YOU come up with to increase your space for a design wall.

1 comment:

Lizzie P said...

A 30' design wall - love the sound of that!!! Walls here are full of doors, windows or furniture - but you've got me thinking about a 7' bookcase I have in the attic. Maybe I could put a flannel sheet on that. Hmm, food for thought...