Monday, February 27, 2012

Fan Quilt With Peacock Fabric

This is the quilt I have on the design wall today.


I am trying to decide if I want to quilt it myself or have a long arm quilter quilt it.

I am leaning towards doing it myself. There are so many areas that will be enhanced by quilting specific to the design.


I started selecting fabrics for this quilt using the theme fabric - the peacock feather fabric used in the border.
There were so many places I could feature motifs from this fabric.

This was a fan sampler quilt I designed and taught to many groups of students. I designed the fans to take advantage of the fabrics selected - even though each student selected different fabrics. I made myself available to help each student with their fabric selection. There were some guidelines to use as fabric was selected - such as two different background fabrics, etc.


This block uses a larger motif on one of the fan blades.


For this block I used a very small exact same image motif repeated 6 times as there were 6 blades to the fan.

This was an exciting class to teach. Each students quilt looked very different, and they were ALL wonderful.

As I have shared this with you I have made my decision. I have to quilt this myself as the quilting specific to the images will enhance the design.

I hope you enjoy putting this puzzle together.
Click to Mix and Solve

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the colors of the Peacock Fan quilt. Also love your puzzles.

Unknown said...

I like the different fan patterns and the fabrics you chose. Is this from a book?

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

This is my original design.

WesternWilson said...

Kay, your fans are lovely...have you considered putting up a tutorial on this?!