Monday, December 29, 2008

Seldom Inn


When I learned you can have M & M's made to say anything you want I thought that was such a neat idea. But - what could I put on them? Then it occurred to me "Seldom Inn", the name I christened our Florida home.
And I chose magenta and purple as these are 2 of the colors in my decor there.
I have a plane ticket to Florida for tomorrow morning.
I have decided to remain in Wisconsin until after my show.
Yes, it's cold, wet and unpredictable right now in Wisconsin.
And it is warm in Florida. Why would anyone make such a decision????
Well, if I go to Florida for 3 weeks, returning for my show opening January 25th the weather here is going to be very hard to take. If I stay here until after the opening I'll be conditioned to the weather and I will be able to tolerate it. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

BOUDOIR DOLL IN THE PINK!!!!
Here is one a dolls made from milk filters from the 50's. I asked my Quilt Art friends if any one had a picture and as usual they came through with several photos, directions to make them and even a place to buy the supplies! I'm not going to start making them. If you recognize this you probably were around in that time period. It all started when a friend and I were trying to out do each other with the tackiest thing we could think of. At the time my mom made these we thought they were beautiful and were thrilled to have one. Fast forward to the 21st century and they rate right up near the top as tacky! I have found several mail lists where these are discussed with fondness and people still are making there evidently. What would your pick be as the tackiest thing you could think of or have?

9 comments:

LoieJ said...

I just had to follow the link from qa. I remember seeing dolls like this when I was a kid, but I didn't know anything about milk filters. BTW, I'm usually a different sign in name, but I'm to tired to change it over.

Susan Brubaker Knapp said...

ummm... What the heck are milk filters? Something used to separate milk from the cream in days when the milk came with the cream in bottles, delivered by a real, live milkman? I am old enough (45) to remember milk men who delivered milk and other dairy products to a milk box on our porch, but I don't know what a milk filter is... and did you make the doll from used ones, or unused?

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

My mother made these dolls. I lived on a dairy farm so milk filters were something we had on hand.

As far as tacky goes, all of the crafts that were made from the foam egg cartons were pretty bad. I can remember Christmas tree decorations made from them.

Janice m said...

Remember the black panthers in ceramic? Only date to the '50's, when they proudly prowled the top of most every TV? Some had green jeweled eyes..........

Gale Wrigley said...

Tacky things - pink lawn flamingoes. They're soooo tacky that they turn wonderful!!!!

Robyn said...

I must be really sad - I like that boudoir doll, not sure I would want one........but it's better than the knitted toilet dolls that were around in the 70's/80's lol

Many thanks for your comments on my blog, there is a pattern for a similiar scarf on this site. http://www.cleckheaton.biz/free_patterns/free_ACCESSORIES.htm

And thanks also for inspiring me to come up with ideas for the school holidays. I've created a calendar and a list of things, so when that dreaded 'I'm bored' I just send him to the list and we do something!

Your blog is beautiful.

Hugs

Robyn

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think I remember those dolls but I didn't know they had anything to do with milk filters - I don't know what those are either.
So were you able to exchange the date you leave WI for Florida without messing up your ticket? You will for sure enjoy Florida once you get there - we need to do that one winter now that we have the motor home!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

forgot to ask you Kay where do you get the M & M's made like that? Would love to get some for friends.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Patty Cramer said...

Hey Kay,

I made one of those dolls, too - maybe even a couple. The milk filters went in the bottom of the miling machine, if my memory serves me correctly. The milking machine was then placed upon the cow's you know whatsie and the milk went through the filter into this big stainless steel milk tank. It was a pretty good size and we would take off the container and pour the milk into the big tank. How sweet are those memories.
Your spinning cube is fantastic - how on earth did you do that?
Happy New Year - many Happy Quilting in 2009.
I love you Kay!!