Monday, March 30, 2009

The Colors Of My Life - The Grand Finale

Colors Of My Life 20 -- The Grand Finale is 3 quilts in one. It is a polymorphic quilt which allows you to see 3 different views depending on where you are standing when you look at it.
If you are standing on the left of the quilt this is the view you will see.

If you are standing directly in front of the quilt this is the view you will see. You are actually seeing both the left and right views both at the same time.

If you are standing on the right of the quilt this is the view you will see. As you walk from side to side you see a blending of the quilts until eventually you see each quilt as the individual composition it is. I wish I could have all of you be here in person to walk from side to side and view this quilt live.

I composed 2 separate quilts and then combined them for the final quilt in this series. When composing this I kept in mind that I wanted each quilt to be able to stand on it's own as a strong composition, be a unique work, and to play well with the other one.

Technically it is without a doubt the most challenging quilt I have every made. The construction was time consuming. It required absolute perfection as I sewed it. It was important to make all the edges crisp and sharp so that you saw exactly what I wanted you to see.

Jane Steinberg was a huge help as I started the final countdown. She gave me advice as to how to accomplish the sharp and crisp edges. Seebeck Gallery did the actual armatures I needed to make it happen. Thanks to both Jane Steinberg and John and Vicky at Seebeck Gallery for allowing this quilt be everything I envisioned.

I hope you have enjoyed the photos of all the quilts from my show Quilts: Another Dimension including The Colors Of My Life series, June series and the quilts in the gift shop. In addition to my quilts I also have been honored to show the work of the other four artists who were a part of the show: Frances Holliday Alford, Pamela Allen, Sonji Hunt and Clair Fenton.

You didn't think I'd forget a puzzle tonight did you? Tonight's puzzle is the Grand Finale front and center view.
Click to Mix and Solve

13 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

for some reason I was expecting large grommets and a rod through them at the top. It's a stunner!

Eva said...

So clever! It is like the two halves of the brain, both working all the time and each doing a different job.

Norma Schlager said...

It's a great quilt and you did an amazing job!

tesuque said...

What a stunning finale! I have so enjoyed your postings about the quilts, your passion for color manipulation, etc.

LoieJ said...

Wow, oh Wow.

Sherryl said...

Stunning Kay. I have to agree with Rayna... it does remind me of Agam's work.

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

What a great finale. YOu saved the best for last. Agam has long been one of my favorite artists. I'm very impressed the the body of work you've created - both quantity and quality. Wish I could have seen the show.

Christine Thresh said...

LoieJ's "Wow" is my comment too.
Are you going to post a tutorial? Or, perhaps a pattern for sale?

Willa said...

I wish I could be more original than "wow" but WOW! I know they say there is nothing new under the sun but I have never seen a quilt like that one and it is very very very cool! And impressive!

Jean said...

This is so awesome!! You are truly an artist!

Lauri said...

Oh. My. GOSH! This has to be the most stunning quilt I have ever seen! Stunning, breathtaking, and frankly, quite visionary.

I just found your blog from your guest post over at Robin's, and WOW...so glad I did!

(I'm the Texan who loves the purple boots! lol!)

Chaya Erez said...

Outstanding!! I think some of us have toyed with the concept but to actually make it -- I am in awe!!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

What an amazing journey with your quilts Kay! This last one is amazing and truly should be filmed as you walk from side to side for us unfortunate people who were not able to see your show. Bravo! (I am giving you a standing ovation!)