Sunday, March 15, 2009

My newest quilt: Quilt 340 & Discovery Launch


I just finished this quilt. The title is currently Quilt 340. Hopefully I'll come up with a better name in time. I've used 2 different groups of hand dyed fabrics to create this piece. It is a fused quilt that I quilted with a zig zag stitch.

I "invented" this way to quilt when I was quilting quilts that my grandchildren created and they were creating them faster than I could think or quilt. I forgot to change the stitch to a straight stitch before I started doing the quilting on one of Jessica's creations. Rather than take out the stitching I decided I like the effect and continued quilting her quilt. I have since used this on other quilts.

I added the stitched spiral as a focal point. This is part of a series I have worked on from time to time.



After I sent this post I looked at the television and they were covering the launch of Discovery. After it lifted off I thought "Duh" - I'm going outside and see if I can see it. It is just slightly over 100 miles from here. It was a perfect time of day and I could see things very clearly. Had I thought ahead of time I would have been ready with my binoculars and camera. After the capsule got far enough away so I could no longer see it I ran inside, took the memory card out of the ocmputer, put it in the camera and took some pictures. I think it's quite amazing what can be seen from over 100 miles. The only other time I saw one was around noon and that was just a white trail. I found this very exciting.

Tonight's puzzle is Quilt 340.
Click to Mix and Solve

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

Cool photo! Love your new piece too!

Dawn said...

Kay,
I was standing out on our back porch watching the shuttle launch this evening, too. Yes definitely way cool! We live maybe a little less than 100 miles from the launch and just watching that vibrant bright streak fly upward -- makes me feel a part of something.

Oh, and as for quilting: Love your work!

Dawn
Subversive Stitchers: Women Armed with Needles

Heather Pregger said...

How exciting! I'd love to see a shuttle launch!

Quilt 340 is wonderful. I love the "zig zag" quilting.

Unknown said...

Hi Kay,

Love the quilt. How about a name having to do with ripples in the pond/continuum/universe?

We watched the launch also (from about 50 miles away) and have never seen such vibrant colors on the contrail (if that’s the right term.)

That puzzle site is way too much fun!