Friday, April 23, 2010

Me and My Shadow

When we start to quilt all we want to do is make quilts, quilts, and more quilts. Then many people discover wall quilts, art quilts, miniature quilts and wearable art.


For me I have transferred this love of fabric and patchwork to the furniture on my lanai. Each cushion on the couch and chair is covered with a different chintz decorator fabric is cheery floral prints. The unifying factor is the edges where I used the same fabric on all of them.
I felt I was being so creative and also thrifty.

I'd like to share with you other patchwork furniture I have seen. It seems to be very trendy right now, although not necessarily inexpensive.


Like my couch, this corner sofa has a different fabric on each cushion. I feel like this is the shadow of my creation!


This is a very country calico look on this couch, completed with applique pillows.


This sofa has a more elegant formal look.


This sofa is upholstered with a quilt. Although it's a traditional quilt this could be at home with many different decorating styles.


This sofa uses a lot of different fabrics and is very bright and cheerful.

You can see that there is no limit to what you can use for patchwork on a sofa. You can purchase one ready made, reupholster or slipcover what you are using or have your own professionally reupholstered of slip covered.

For maximum impact I would suggest only one or two pieces of patchwork in a room. Then it becomes a focal point. It is also a great way to start a decorating scheme. Choose the patchwork sofa first and design the rest of the decor around it. This does not mean you need to go out and purchase everything new. It can mean refinishing or painting things you already have.

Decorating should be fun and your house should make you happy.

In the future I will be doing more posts about decorating with patchwork furniture.
The sky is the limit!

Another puzzle for all you puzzle fanatics among my followers!
Click to Mix and Solve

1 comment:

antique quilter said...

you were ahead of your time!
Love your couch! but the chintz covered couch on the lanai is beautiful, I love those floral prints! great post!
and yes I love doing the puzzles!
Kathie