Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Way

Last night I posted the before photos of my guest bath. The new shower curtain IS done but I need help putting it up so it will be a few days before you see it.


When I start to design a quilt I often take out one piece of fabric (theme fabric) and use that as a starting point. The green marbled fabric was my starting point for this piece.

I also pull a group of fabrics I think will work with it.


It didn't take me long to realize my theme fabric didn't work so I tried this piece of hand painted fabric.

Lacking a proper design wall I am working on the back of "I'll See You In My Dreams".


I added the acid green fabric next as an accent.


I took out the hand painted fabric and moved the bubble fabric to the empty space.


I added two more fabrics.


I changed the proportion of the purple and orange fabrics.


I have added a chocolate brown fabric on the lower right.
At this point you see my starting fabric was discarded almost at the beginning. The second theme fabric also was discarded very early.

This is by no means a final design and layout.
I am sharing this so you can see one method I use to make design decisions.

One of the most important factors to me is having an extensive palette of fabrics to choose from.

These partial lyrics from "My Way" are something I can really relate to in the way I live my life.

Yes there were times I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out, I faced it all
And I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now as tears subside
I find it all so amusing

To think I did all that
And may I say not in a shy way
Oh no, oh no, not me
I did it my way


Click to Mix and Solve

2 comments:

Eva said...

I very much agree about your final choice, in spite of the dark colors. Very mysterious. Like a tarot card of the coins.

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

That was fun! Thanks for sharing all the editing! :)

By the way....it is snowing here today!