Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rags to Riches

I have had so much fun playing with my Embellisher machine.
I am going to share some small pieces I made with it on this post.

When I went to a fiber art retreat I took my Embellisher machine with me.
At the retreat there was a large collection of fabric we could play with. Much of this was fabric I would never touch or look twice at. Sleazy shiny polyesters and nylons, ugly cottons and linens, sheers, reject hand dyed or painted fabrics, etc..
These were the perfect fabrics to experiment with. I truly was going from rags to riches.

By the time the retreat was over almost every one there wanted one. It is so much fun to work with.


This piece used some cut offs of silk fabrics I painted along with other fabrics. It also includes some wool roving.



This one uses commercial fabrics of varying weights and textures.



I used a lot of sheers and semi sheers on this piece. I also used the selvedge part of the pink fabric to provide another texture.
Nothing goes to waste, even the smallest scraps when you have this machine!



After layering a collage of different weights and types of fabric, including some metallics I added the silk textured yarn for an additional texture.



Metallics, sheers and wool roving are the basis for this piece.

An Embellisher is a machine with several barbed needles that "fasten" the various fibers together.
There are several different brands. They use NO thread.
I would suggest a google search to find out more, and then a trip to your local sewing machine dealer.

4 comments:

Carole said...

Kay.. I use my embellisher a lot... the most widely viewed pieces I did were the last 4 of my moon series.
I did not have a regular sewing machine, just my embellisher and hand work.
See one here:
http://wyndhavenartandquilts.blogspot.com/2008/12/moon-series-3-moonwalker.html
also... my Stormwatch
http://wyndhavenartandquilts.blogspot.com/2007/11/storm-watch.html

I did several posted under 2007 and 2008..
great fun!
I Love what you have done!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I love the Embellisher pieces. They are really nice. I have used the "old" Embellisher in making my art quilts for a few years now. I love the work except for the needles (cost). Keep going,

Amy Munson said...

Hi Kay, I use my embellisher to piece several of my crazy quilt blocks together.
Crazy for Beads was made with all silk fabric and just minimally punched along the seams over a muslin base to hold everything together while I added embellishments.
http://in-the-fold.blogspot.com/search/label/Crazy%20for%20Beads
I also have used it to attach novelty yarn to my quilts.
http://in-the-fold.blogspot.com/search/label/Fiber%20Collage
check out my blog for more details. I love my embellisher and enjoy finding new applications for it all the time.

JYA Fiberarts said...

These pieces are lovely! I have a friend who uses her embellisher a lot. Another item for my wish list!