Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Precious Polymer Clay

My friend Pat said she would like to learn how to work with polymer clay.
Last week I acquired a supply of clay, tools, finished canes and pasta machines from Terry who no longer had an interest in working with clay. It was perfect timing as I now had enough equipment so the two of us could "play clay".


This is the counter we worked on as I showed Pat various different basic clay techniques.


One of the things I showed Pat how to do was to make a Skinner blend. Judith Skinner has to be the ultimate polymer clay genius to have come up with this technique. Any one who has worked with polymer clay learns this method of doing a gradation in clay.
It opens up so many possibilities for designing.



This shows some of the pieces we made today ready to be baked in my toaster oven that I purchased to use exclusively for clay.

It was really an enjoyable day sharing how to work with the clay with Pat. It was also a great chance for girl talk and catching up on what has been going on in our busy lives with someone I have known since our sophomore year in high school! We broke for lunch and enjoyed my homemade chicken soup, hot rolls and I introduced Pat to Vernor's Ginger Ale.

After lunch we continued to work with clay and I baked the things we had made. We each have a group of finished products and canes that we can use to make other things.

You too can put the pieces together now to create this polymer clay display!
Click to Mix and Solve

4 comments:

free indeed said...

I saw the sell off of this stuff, but was too late. I recently read about making buttons from clay and was wanting to try that...I just never thought of making my own buttons before....very cool. I know zilch about working with clay, but there is always the internet. Sounds like a great day you girls had!

Eva said...

I started working with polymere clay when I was 15 or so, and it was still new on the market. I have done a lot of things recently and tried to sell them, but did not succeed; now I have boxes full and don't know what to do with them. It was so much fun to do it, but I gave it up.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Looks like you were having so much fun!!!

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Sharing something you know how to do with a friend is the MOST fun!