Saturday, April 3, 2010

Quilts for the Millennium - Rerun


I sometimes introduce myself by saying "My name is Kay, - I don't do bed quilts - Sorensen.

I made an exception to that for the Millennium. I made a king size charm quilt for each of my 8 grandchildren.

Each quilt has 2000 different fabrics with a Millennium Border Print.
I traded fabric with over 350 people from around the world to do the project.

The grandchildren are only allowed to sleep under them on New Year's Eve or other special occasions. Each quilt is accompanied by a Journal so they can record their activities, photos and share where they were each time they use the quilts.

They were started in April 1999 and finished on December 15, 1999.

This would not have been possible if I had not had Sandy Schilawski of Green Bay, Wisconsin quilt them. She did a fantastic job and I really appreciated it.

No one was more amazed than me that I finished all 8 in that period of time!

The photo shows only 1 quilt but there are REALLY 8 - each with different borders and backings, but all with similar color layouts.

3 comments:

antique quilter said...

what an accomplishment and a treasure for each of the grandchildren...
no puzzle???
LOL, love the challenge of them with each post!!@!!!
kathie

Anonymous said...

LOve the colour combo on that bed quilt. Which is not a bed quilt. It's an object of beauty.

Ariane said...

This is a gorgeous quilt!! And you made 8! Love it!!