Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I Can See Clearly Now

I got a lovely message from a long time friend about my blog and the amulets.
She said she enjoyed the post about the amulets even thought she didn't really understand what I did.



I'm not trying to do a tutorial on making amulets. I'm just trying to share a little about how I make them so you can see a little of my process.



This is a side view of a group of canes.



In this photo you can see the end and the tube shape of the canes.



This is a cane in the process of being reduced in diameter.



Here are 3 different sizes that have all been created from one cane.

I hope this gives you a little more insight into what I am doing. This is just a small part of the process.

Working with clay is similar in many ways to working with fabric to make quilts. They both depend strongly on color - the choosing, blending and coordinating of colors.
They each work with pattern - sometimes repeated and sometimes random patterns.
They can both be creative artistic processes. I feel both activities help me grow as an artist and inspire me in my other creative and artistic pursuits.

I hope this has given you a little better understanding on what I am doing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amulets appeal to my hording gene.... one thing I don't quite get is there is only one amulet of each design and yet the cane will make dozens..... so ...... what happens to the rest of the cane after you cut off the one you are keeping...?

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Thanks for your question about what I use the rest of the cane for.
I just cut thin slices of the cane and put them on a base of a solid or multicolor piece.
I can combine slices from the cane on many different bases for many different designed amulets.
I also use the canes to make jewelry, buttons, beads, bowls, and decorative plaques among other things.