Friday, July 2, 2010

Quilts Awaiting Borders

Some quilts do not need borders.
Some quilts are not complete until they have one or more borders.
The quilts I am showing you on this post will all be improved with the addition of borders.



This Amish inspired double nine patch will need a substantial border in keeping with the Amish inspiration. I may use one wide border or I may use a narrow border and then a wider border.
How will I decide what to do?
I will pin the quilt to my design wall and audition various colors and widths until I am satisfied with the combination.
I know many people, particularly beginning quilters would prefer to have rules. They would like to be told a quilt of a certain size needs a certain size borders. That could work in certain instances. Generally the fabrics and colors affect the decision and trial and error and careful observation result in more successful quilts.



A monochromatic quilt like this can make the decision on what to add for borders more challenging. I have a feeling I will be adding a very small amount of a color in the border. Again, I won't be making this decision until the quilt is on the wall.

The two previous quilts are a good example of why you need a fabric collection or palette if you want to make quilts that work.
I suppose you could take the quilt to a quilt shop and select fabric for a border, but I find it easier and more convenient having a palette of fabrics on hand to audition for my borders. I am then able to stand back and really look at what is happening and don't have to make the decision in haste.



This quilt will eventually be king size. I think I will be adding a medium width black and white border, a pieced patchwork border using many of the same fabrics in the quilt and a wider black and white border to finish it off.

This was a scrap quilt and I had so much fun piecing it.

When I finish a project and have less than 6 inches of fabric left I usually cut strips from the remaining fabric and have a ready supply of strips when I want to do something like this. I have made several quilts from the strip I have cut this way.

If you have never done one of my puzzles you may enjoy this one. It is easy and yet challenging.
Click to Mix and Solve

No comments: